With the wedding cake being such a central piece of the day, it's important to get exactly the deal and the cake you want from the baker you entrust the task to. How is the cost of the cake calculated- do you charge by size or by the slice?
Picking The Right Baker
- How many cakes do you schedule to make on the same day?
- How many wedding cakes have you made before?
- Do you have a portfolio of your previous work I can look at, or do you have references from at least three previous brides?
- Can you provide for coeliac or vegan guests at the wedding?
- If I'm not getting married in the same town, will the baker ship my cake to the wedding destination?
- Do you work with fondant or buttercream icing?
- Can you provide alternatives to a full cake, such as macaroons, cheesecake or cupcakes?
- Will you preserve the top tier for our anniversary or can you provide a cake for the occasion? How much extra will this cost?
Planning The Details
- How far in advance will the cake be ready before the day of the wedding?
- How much is the deposit and when is this due?
- What can you do if the cake is damaged in transit to the reception?
- When is the final instalment of payment due?
- What is the cancellation policy?
- Who exactly will be making my cake? Will it be you or another baker?
Considering The Costs
- Do you provide the cake stand, table and the cake top? If so, how much will these cost?
- Do you have cake tastings? Do you charge for these?
- Will this layer of the cake cost more than any other?
- How much will transport and set up of the cake cost?